Playonwords.com Presents Their Fall 2012 Play Advances Language (PAL) Award Winners, The Best Toys, Books and Games To Spark Fun And Encourage Language Development
Play On Words LLC, led by highly respected speech therapist Sherry Artemenko, announces 2012’s Fall PAL Winners. This recognition is the toy industry’s only program directed by a credentialed speech-language expert recognizing the language learning edge in exceptional toys, games and books. Distinguished by unique design, quality and character, these PAL winners can generate rich play that advances language. Sherry’s 35 years of child development experience with over 15,000 hours working with kids empower her PAL selections, popular blog, private practice and media appearances. http://playonwords.com/in_the_media/
Play Advances Language Award Seal
Southport, Connecticut (PRWEB) October 24, 2012
Play On Words LLC, led by highly respected speech therapist Sherry Artemenko, announces 2012’s FallPAL Winners. This recognition is the toy industry’s only program directed by a credentialed speech-language expert recognizing the language learning edge in exceptional toys, games and books. Distinguished by unique design, quality and character, these PAL winners can generate rich play that advances language. Sherry’s 35 years of child development experience with over 15,000 hours working with kids empower her PAL selections, popular blog, private practice and media appearances.
“I’m excited to see companies taking a closer look at their products to find the language learning potential for ALL kids to play together, while making it easier for parents by listing their toy’s skills on the packaging or in learning guides in the box. Manufacturers are valuing my advice on how to use their toys to maximize learning, ‘We can’t wait to see what you think!’ The PAL seal, awarded to global enterprises and start-ups alike, differentiates the companies who know the marketplace now demands products that are not only fun, but educational. The PAL Award seal says just that.”
Fall 2012 Play Advances Language (PAL) Award Winners listed by language learning category:
EARLY DEVELOPMENT – Sherry’s background in pediatric speech therapy gives her an eye for the best products to build physical and cognitive strength to prepare a child for her first sounds, words and sentences. From animating chunky animal puzzle pieces to swatting at dangling faces on a baby gym, kids learn essentials leading to language.
- Baby Drive ‘n Push Racer by Blue Box Toys
- Bear Says Thanks by Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman
- Big Book of My World by Kali Stileman
- Chicken and Egg Stackers by Earlyears
- Chunky Lift Out Farm Puzzle by Bigjigs Toys
- Dedee Duck Bath Organizer by Blue Box Toys
- Pop and Play Pop and Swap Gym by Infantino
- Pull-Along Snail by Plan Toys
- Stacking Bear by Plan Toys
- Train 24 Piece Tray Puzzle by Bigjigs Toys
- What Can a Crane Pick Up? by Rebecca Kai Dotlich and Mike Lowery
LANGUAGE STRUCTURE – These outstanding products build language structure, often teaching vocabulary, concepts or grammar while delivering fun. Assembling a story from illustrated dice, representing a word or concept through objects, or questioning a friend to guess his pretend identity all strengthen communication.
- A Meal of the Stars by Dana Jenson and Tricia Tusa
- Disney Princess Enchanted Cupcake Party Game by Wonder Forge
- Dr. Seuss Fun Machine by Wonder Forge
- FitzIt by Gamewright
- Flapz by Blue Orange Games
- HEDBANZ by Spin Master Ltd.
- Jake and the Neverland Pirates Never Land Challenge by Wonder Forge
- Morphology Junior by Morphology Games
- Rocket Writes a Story by Tad Hills
- Rory’s Story Cubes–Actions by Gamewright
- Rory’s Story Cubes MAX by Creativity Hub Ltd.
- Shrimp Cocktail by Blue Orange Games
- Spot it Jr! Animals by Blue Orange Games
(PRE)READING – From racing to form words, identifying pictures beginning with specific sounds, or listening to a delightful picture book full of repeated phrases and bold words, children can pick up essential skills to promote reading.
- Block Crayon by Wooky Entertainment
- Dice-T by The Haywire Group
- Just Say BOO! by Susan Hood and Jed Henry
- KerFlip! by Creative Foundry Games
- Letter Sounds by Rock ‘N’ Learn
- Scrambled States of America Game–Deluxe Edition by Gamewright
- Speedeebee by Blue Orange Games
- Word Wave by Spin Master Ltd.
- Word Pirates by The Haywire Group
- Zingo! Sight Words by ThinkFun
STORY TELLING / PRETEND PLAY – When operating and protecting a futuristic planet’s headquarters, preparing a picnic outside the dollhouse, or tranpsorting an injured person by helicopter, children enter the world of pretend, creating their own stories with plenty of flexible props to guide them. Oral story-telling precedes writing as kids learn the steps to create a good narrative.
- Blossom Cottage by Bigjigs Toys
- Cake Set by Plan Toys
- E-Rangers Headquarters by Playmobil
- GEM by Hollie Hobbie
- Jake and the Neverland Pirates Who Shook Hook? by Wonder Forge
- Master Workbench by HaPe International Inc.
- Mossy by Jan Brett
- Olivia’s Tree House by Lego
- Play House by Plan Toys
- Salad Set by Green Toys Inc.
- Sandzini Creator Set, Ice Cream Parlor by Ohio Art
- Spike the Mixed-Up Monster by Susan Hood and Melissa Sweet
- Storymatic Kids by The Storymatic Corporation
- Tea Set by Plan Toys
- Tell Tale Fairy Tales by Blue Orange
- The Tooth Mouse by Susan Hood and Janice Nadeau
- Tinkertoy Transit Set by K’NEX
- Toobers and Zots by Little Kids, Inc.
- Wow Fire Rescue Rory by Ravensburger
SOCIAL LANGUAGE – Pairing closely with pretend play, social language blossoms when children play with toys that encourage extended social interactions. Working cooperatively to feed a Woozle, acting out a Disney Princess story, or teaming on a beautiful puzzle, promote one-on-one and group interaction.
- Chromadepth Puzzles with 3D Glasses by Ravensburger
- Cuddlepuppets by Cuddleuppets
- Disney Princess Dazzling Princess Game by Wonder Forge
- Feed the Woozle by Peaceable Kingdom
- Race to the Treasure by Peaceable Kingdom
- Seeds for the Birds by Peaceable Kingdom
- Spontuneous by Spontuneous Games, Inc.
Congratulations to our PAL Winners who are listening to their markets and delivering a powerful value proposition, namely, great language learning paired with play.
To see all Playonwords PAL Award winners, go to:
ABOUT PLAYONWORDS LLC
Playonwords.com was founded by well respected speech language pathologist, Sherry Artemenko, a 35 year champion of language driven play. Her esteemed PAL Award, popular blog, and helpful tips to parents set her apart as a leader advocating the language component in toys.
Over 15,000 hours working directly with children has shown her that a unique subset of the best toys, games and books have the capability to develop language while delivering great play. Studies show:
- Kids with highest IQs at three, had the most words at one and two
- Language learning is cumulative – early words => early sentences => language and reading
- Most kids maintain their verbal advantage through childhood
Sherry established the PAL Award to identify unique toys, games and books that through their design, quality and character, encourage play that advances language. PAL winners in the hands of kids, spark fun and creative play with lots of talk. Such toys, recognized on the basis of her child development expertise, are complemented by practical coaching in her blog, showing parents how to get the most from toys, games and books to build language and underlying cognitive skills.