Playonwords.com Presents Their Spring 2013 PAL Awards – Best Toys, Games and Books that Spark Language Development Through Play
Play On Words LLC, led by highly respected speech language pathologist Sherry Artemenko, announces 2013’s Spring PAL Award Winners, the toy industry’s only recognition directed by a credentialed speech-language expert recognizing the language learning edge in exceptional toys, games and books. Sherry’s 35 years of child development experience with over 15,000 hours working with kids empower her PAL selections, popular blog, private practice and media appearances.
ABOVE PICTURE: PAL Founder, Sherry Artemenko, with Kerri-Lee Mayland, NBC Connecticut HD News Anchor BELOW QUOTE: Charlotte Fixler, Communications Manager, ThinkFun
(PRWEB) May 15, 2013
Play On Words LLC, led by highly respected speech language pathologist Sherry Artemenko, announces 2013’s Spring PAL (Play Advances Language) Winners. This recognition is the toy industry’s only program directed by a credentialed speech-language expert recognizing the language learning edge in exceptional toys, games and books. Distinguished by unique design, quality and character, these PAL winners can generate rich play that advances language. Sherry’s 35 years of child development experience with over 15,000 hours working with kids empower her PAL selections, popular blog, private practice and media appearances.
“I’m excited to see companies taking a closer look at their products to find the language learning potential for ALL kids to play together, while making it easier for parents by listing their toy’s skills on the packaging or in learning guides in the box. Manufacturers are valuing my advice on how to use their toys to maximize learning, ‘We can’t wait to see what you think!’ The PAL seal, awarded to global enterprises and start-ups alike, differentiates the companies who know the marketplace now demands products that are not only fun, but educational. The PAL Award seal says just that.”
Spring 2013 Play Advances Language (PAL) Award Winners listed by language learning category:
EARLY DEVELOPMENT: Sherry’s daily experience in pediatric speech therapy gives her an eye for the best products to build attention, vocabulary, and concepts through play, preparing children for their first sounds, words and sentences. From stacking and squirting pals to pulling a circus train, kids learn essential language skills.
- Babipouce Pink Cotton Flower by Corolle
- Bobo Buddy by R.E. Baby Products, Inc.
- Elf Grenadine’s Heart by Corolle
- My First Play World Farm: Stacking Cubes by HABA
- My First Puzzles Garden Animals by Ravensburger
- My Nature Pals Stroll by Tiny Love
- Racing Round Stacking Pyramid by Janod
- Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel Game! by Educational Insights
- Softimals Safari Set by Infinitoy, Inc.
- Splash ‘n Slide Waterpark Wonder by B kids
- Stack ‘n Squirt Pals by B kids
- Story Circus Baby Train by Janod
- Toddler Build And Play Cubes by Lego
LANGUAGE STRUCTURE: These outstanding products can build language structure, often teaching vocabulary, concepts or grammar while delivering fun. Predicting and drawing conclusions from a science experiment, learning position words while searching for “Sunshine,” or using the language of math to defeat Ninja Turtle enemies, all strengthen communication.
- Animal Soup The Mixed-Up Animal Board Game! by The Haywire Group
- Bear In Underwear Backpack Adventure Board Game! by The Haywire Group
- Being Frank by Donna W. Earnhardt and Andrea Castellani
- Clifford Science Series by The Young Scientists Club
- Frog Wobble by MindWare
- Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
- Hello Sunshine! by Thinkfun
- Magnetibook 4 Seasons by Janod
- On The Farm Who’s In The Barnyard? by Ravensburger
- PicWits! by MindWare
- Qualities by SimplyFun
- Red Cat Blue Cat by Jenni Desmond
- Rhyme Out: The Triple Rhyming Game by Educational Insights
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Clash Alley Strategy Game by Wonder Forge
- The Ant and the Grasshopper by Rebecca Emberley and Ed Emberley
- What’s It? By Peaceable Kingdom
- Wummelbox by Wummelbox
PRE (READING): Searching for a word written in the round, spinning the alphabet with associated pictures or listening to an early reader popping up tall and high, children can pick up essential skills to promote reading.
- ABC Puzzle And Book: My First Puzzle Book by Tiger Tales
- Alphabet A-Z by Plan Toys
- Block Crayon 3-in-1 Activity Table by Wooky Entertainment
- Loco Lingo Kindergarten by HABA
- Pig Has a Plan by Ethan Long
- See ‘n Spin Alphabet Rack by B kids
- Up! Tall! And High! by Ethan Long
- WordARound by Thinkfun
STORY-TELLING/ PRETEND PLAY: Whether protecting Fort Brave from the outlaws, engaging in realistic puppet play, or taking the ferry boat out for a sail, children enter the world of pretend, creating their own stories with plenty of flexible props to guide their imagination. Oral story-telling precedes writing as kids learn the steps to create a good narrative.
- A Home For Bird by Philip C. Stead
- Alpaca Puppet by Folkmanis, Inc.
- Artzooka! Cupcake Creations by Wooky Entertainment
- Artzooka! Recycle Sticker Creations by Wooky Entertainment
- Artzooka! Surprise Match Boxes by Wooky Entertainment
- Bebe Bath and Accessories By Corolle
- Bible Toys Prayer Bear
- Easy Turn Coupe by Step2
- Fairy Tale Blocks by Plan Toys
- Ferry Boat by Green Toys
- Fire Engine by Plan Toys
- Fixin’ Fun Outdoor Grill by Step2
- Friends Heartlake City Pool by Lego
- HABA Puppet Theater
- Imagine i CAN Feel Better MD by Manhattan Toy
- Imagine i Can Pirate Treasures by Manhattan Toy
- Leopard Shark Puppet by Folkmanis, Inc.
- Little Hedgehog Puppet by Folkmanis, Inc.
- My 1st Career Gear Zookeeper by Aeromax Inc.
- My Little Nenuco Travel With Me by Famosa
- Parking Garage by Plan Toys
- Pinypon Fairies by Famosa
- Playmobil 1.2.3 Take Along Barn
- Playmobil 1.2.3 Take Along Fire Station
- Playmobil Native American Camp With Totem Pole
- Playmobil Western Fort
- Rocket by Green Toys
- Sky Dragon Puppet by Folkmanis, Inc.
- SmartMax Flower Palace by Smart Toys and Games, Inc.
- Tractor by Green Toys
- WOW’s Sammy Sea Patrol by Ravensburger
SOCIAL LANGUAGE: Pairing closely with pretend play, social language blossoms when children play with toys that encourage extended social interactions. Working cooperatively to follow the instructions of a magic move wand, or racing mice to capture a huge chunk of cheese before the cat stops them promotes one-on-one interaction.
- Magic Moves Electronic Wand by Educational Insights
- Lilliputiens’ Ophelie And Her Chicks by HABA
- Penguin And Pinecone by Salina Yoon
- Puppet on-a-Stick by Educational Insights
- SQUIGGLE On-The-Go by Randomline, Inc.
- Super Sized Floor Puzzle USA Map by Ravensburger
- The Great Cheese Chase by Peaceable Kingdom
Congratulations to our PAL Winners who are listening to their markets and delivering a powerful value proposition, namely, great language learning paired with play.
To see all Playonwords PAL Award winners, go to: